Pet Store Mice Turn Deadly
Any animals that live in poor conditions will invariably end up with some form of illness which spreads quickly, and mice breed for food are no different. Frozen and live mice have been found to have contracted Multistate Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus (LCMV). In poor conditions LCMV even becomes airborne so its rate of spreading to other animals or even humans increases rapidly. Unfortunately the initially infected animals were not the only ones to suffer in this outbreak. Any pet stores the infected animals were distributed to, and subsequently customers, created new opportunities for the disease.
How it impacts bearded dragons isn’t clear as little study has been done on the effects to birds and reptiles, chances are it may not impact reptiles at all, but it does impact humans. The disease is not commonly fatal to humans with CDC reporting around 1% of people die but death is not the only issue. It can also cause illness and birth defects.
The list of symptoms initially can include fever, aches and pains, headaches and nausea with illness setting in 1 – 2 weeks after infection. The second phase is far more serious and symptoms can include drowsiness, confusion, poor motor skills and even fluid on the brain.
Despite the fact it is easy to kill with heat, disinfectants, some detergents and a few other methods it continues to sporadically break out.
This video comes from PeTAs story on Pet Store Mice Prove Deadly by Michelle Kretzer 23-8-2012 where it was found that mice (along with hamsters and a few other cute and furry animals) were infected with Multistate Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus.
Trace-Forward Investigation of Mice in Response to Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus Outbreak
Multistate Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus (LCMV) Outbreak July 2012: Recommendations on Trace-back and Safe Disposal of Potentially LCMV-infected Mice
Update: Interim Guidance for Minimizing Risk for Human Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Virus Infection Associated with Pet Rodents
“In May 2005, CDC received reports of illness in four solid-organ transplant recipients who were later determined to have been infected with lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) from a common organ donor (1). Three of the four organ recipients died, 23–27 days after transplantation…”
WARNING – CONTENT OF THIS VIDEO MAY BE EXTREMELY DISTRESSING.
Also see Bearded Dragons and Salmonella for further information on problems with feeder rodents.